Initial Teacher Traininginspring learning for life
Tinsley Meadows Primary Academy is proud to be an Initial Teacher Training Provider.
We believe there is a lot to gain from learning to teach whilst in a school environment, with virtually all of a student’s time being spent in a local school or numerous schools. This is compared to university-based equivalents, in which two-thirds of trainees’ time is spent on placements. Students will still learn the theory required, but they will have more opportunities to put it into practice.
Why choose Schools Direct as your training route?
Schools Direct offers a combination of:
- rigorous academic programme
- up to the minute training by current teachers sharing their wealth of experience
- immersion in a school environment
Trainee teacher 2019 -2020
“Very helpful and friendly staff willing and ready for any questions.”
Trainee teacher 2018 -2019
“I was made to feel very welcome in my home school; the SLT made me feel very valued as part of the school team. They were very approachable, knowledge and supportive throughout the year and made my experience at the school very positive.”
What does ITT at Tinsley Meadows offer you?
- A carefully balanced mix of academic and school based learning
- A welcoming home school, enabling you to become immersed in the daily diverse challenges and rewards of school life and become a member of an experienced, dedicated team.
- Well trained and highly experienced mentors and teachers to provide you with a personalised training programme.
- Experience in a wide range of schools enabling you share our expertise.
- A strong partnership with Sheffield Hallam University meaning that you access high quality academic input leading to QTS status and 60 masters points.
- High quality training and support from outstanding practitioners across all ages in school.
What do we expect from you?
- To be committed, determined and hard working.
- To have a natural desire to make the lives of our children and families better.
- To be passionate about making every learning opportunity count.
- To have high standards, expectations and belief in every child.
- To be an effective team player and fully contribute to the wider school community.
Building a fair education for all
Tinsley Meadows works in partnership with Teach First as part of their teacher training programme which was founded to address the link between low income and poor educational achievement.
All our Life Chances
Tinsley Meadows Primary Academy is the Lead School for Sheffield South East Learning Partnership (SSELP) School Direct.
We want to train and employ the best people to ensure that excellent teachers teach in our schools. Our goal is to help pupils achieve the best start in life.
What is Teach First?
The programme provides intensive training for high-flying graduates, who are placed in Tinsley Meadows and other schools in high areas of deprivation in the Yorkshire and the Humber region for a minimum two-year placement.
By the end of the first year, our trainees are awarded a PGCE and achieve qualified teacher status. In their second year, they teach as a newly qualified teacher and follow the school’s induction programme, while continuing to be supported by their school tutors, mentors and Teach First local and national teams.
What is SSELP?
SSELP is a group of 15 primary, 1 special and 2 secondary schools who work together to develop and share excellent practice and standards. Through collaboration we have achieved a proven track record of improving outcomes.