Complaints and Compliments

As a school we pride ourselves on creating and maintaining positive relationships with parents, our partners and the general public. We appreciate feedback to enable us to continuously improve and so here, we provide details about how you can compliment or make a complaint.

See also the School Complaints procedure and the FRMAT Trust Complaints Policy.



1. What to do first

Most concerns and complaints can be sorted out quickly by speaking with your child’s class teacher. All staff will make every effort to resolve your problem informally.

They will make sure that they understand what you feel went wrong, and they will explain their own actions to you. They will ask what you would like the school to do to put things right.

Of course, this does not mean that in every case they will come round to your point of view but it will help both you and the school to understand both sides of the question. It may also help to prevent a similar problem arising again.

2. What to do next

If you are dissatisfied with the teacher’s response you can make a complaint to the Headteacher. This could be made in writing or by making an appointment to discuss the problem.

You may find it helpful at this stage to have a copy of the full statement of the School Complaints Procedure as this explains in detail what procedures are followed. This is available from the School.

The Headteacher will ask to meet you for a discussion of the problem. You may take a friend or someone else with you if you wish.

They will conduct a full investigation of the complaint and may interview any members of staff or pupils involved. You will then receive a written response to your complaint which you may wish to discuss with them.

3. If you are still unhappy

If you are still not satisfied, you may wish to contact the Chair of Governors and request that they look again at your complaint and the Headteacher’s response.

The Chair of Governors will seek to clarify your concerns and undertake their own independent investigation. You will then receive a written response to your complaint.

4. Further action

Should you remain dissatisfied with the response from the Chair of Governors, you can ask for your complaint to be referred to a Governing Body Complaints Review Panel.

This will comprise a group of 3 governors from the school who, as far as is possible, have no previous knowledge of the problem and who will therefore be able to give it fresh assessment.

You will be invited to attend a meeting and speak to the Panel in person. The full School Complaints procedure explains how these meetings operate. Please click on the link below for more information:

School complaints Advice to parents



Should you wish to make a compliment about the school you can do this in a number of ways:

By email:

By telephone: 0114 2441842

In writing:

C/O School Business Manager

Tinsley Meadows Primary School
Norborough Road
S9 1SG