Emerald & RubyYear 4
Miss Kinninmonth, Miss Duck and the year 4 team are looking forward to an exciting Spring term filled with learning.
Our topic this term is the Vikings!
The focus for this topic is History.
In this project the children will learn:
This term we will be learning all about the Vikings, building on our knowledge of Anglo-Saxons. During this topic, we will be answering the following questions:
- What image do we have of the Vikings?
- Why have the Vikings gained such a bad reputation?
- How did the Vikings try to take over the country and how close did they get?
- Raiders or settlers: how should we remember the Vikings?
- Why was Alfred the Great the only King to be called Great?
As part of our topic, we will be having a visit from The History Van who will be coming in on Wednesday 27th January to deliver a Viking workshop. Look out for the photos on the school website!
For the first week of this term we were learning all about Free Verse poetry. Here was our WAGOLL:
I am scared of the dark
Like a tree is nervous of Autumn
Like a pencil is terrified of an eraser
Like a window is anxious about a football
Like a log is horrified by chainsaw
Like a car is afraid of the crusher
I am scared of the dark
Then we will be learning the legend of Odin and Loki and using this to write our own legend about another Norse God. If you would like a copy of any of your child’s literacy work, then please ask your class teacher!
Our reciprocal reading book this term also fits with our topic of the Vikings! We are reading Cressida Cowell’s ‘How To Train Your Dragon’.
There are eight other books about Vikings available to read in the ‘Dazzle Box’ in our classroom.
This term we will be continuing to develop mental maths skills and the ability to recall key maths facts. This term our focus in maths will be place value (including reading and writing up to 5-digit numbers), we will be using written methods for addition and subtraction. During basic maths sessions we will be looking at telling the time, shapes and angles.
Our focus for science this half term will be States of Matter. Children will be learning all about solids, liquids and gases and temperature. Children will have the chance to carry out a number of different experiments making predictions and discuss their findings. We will be doing a number of investigations this term.
Homework will be sent home with the children every Thursday, and needs to be brought back into school on Tuesday morning (it can be handed in on Monday morning!). There will be a homework club held every Monday afterschool until 4pm to support any children that would like some extra help to complete their weekly homework. We will also be setting a weekly times table and spellings for children to learn that week. It is vitally important that children are learning their spellings at home every week. They are tested on their spellings every Thursday or Friday. If you would like to know how your child is doing in their weekly spelling test then please come and speak to your class teacher.
- PE is every Monday. We will be doing PE outside. Make sure you bring trainers.
- Swimming is every Thursday. Make sure you bring your swimming kit (costume/trunks and a towel). Emerald Class return to school at 3.30pm on a Thursday.
- Homework goes out every Wednesday and must be completed and handed in ready to be marked on Monday.
- For year 4, homework club is every Monday until 4pm and Sports Club is every Wednesday until 4.15pm
Miss Kinninmonth – Teacher
Miss Duck – Teacher